A series of measures announced by Israel’s Education Ministry will ban “disturbing material” in schools, as well as banning students from wearing the full headgear and covering up their faces, as part of a nationwide campaign against antisemitic graffiti.
The ministry said it is banning “disturbances” on social media and in the public space, including the wearing of masks and “sporting headgear”, but did not specify which “distures” were being discussed.
The measures also called for a ban on wearing headscarves in public, and the creation of a task force to investigate the incidents of antisemitics’ attacks on Jews and Israelis.
They also called on the country’s youth, who are “the most active on social networking sites and forums, to take action and stop spreading the message of antiseticism.”
The ministry announced the changes on Monday, adding that it will begin issuing licenses to students who are involved in antisemic activities.
The government has long faced criticism over its crackdown on antisemites, who have often been the target of violent attacks.
Since 2010, there have been at least 14 anti-Semitic attacks on Jewish Israelis in Israel, mostly in the occupied West Bank, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.
The Israeli government has also struggled to quell anti-Semitism, as it seeks to distance itself from the far-right movement.
The campaign was launched after the election of President Reuven Rivlin, who has repeatedly said he was not anti-Semite, but that “there is a problem” in Israel’s universities.
He is currently in a difficult battle with the hard-line Zionist Union, which has criticized his pro-settlement policies.
Last month, he met with Jewish activists and said he would work with them on a solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
He said he wanted to work with “the Jewish community” and that the two sides must come to an agreement on the Israeli and Palestinian conflict.
Rivlin’s government has called for more stringent security measures and harsher penalties for antisemics.